When it comes to switching from Android to iPhone and/or iPad, the majority of people are going that way instead of vice-versa. iOS is winning over Android, due to many reasons, user experience being the most profound one.
Even so, we want you to be sure that you are ready to go ahead with this transition. Switching from Android to iOS comes with its own pros and cons. You may want to further this list of challenges that a user experiences while moving from Android to iPhone/iPad.
Now, when you are certain that you want to move from Android to iOS, then you may proceed further. We have compiled a set of instructions to assist you in making your move from Android to iPhone/iPad as smooth as feasible.
Switching from Android to iPhone with Move to iOS
Move to iOS is an Android App developed by Apple to help its potential customers in moving from Android to iOS without any hindrances. This app is the one single thing that helps you get your contacts, messages, media, wallpapers, bookmarks, DRM free songs and ebooks from an Android phone to your iPhone wirelessly.
Not just that it also suggest you the free apps that you were using on your android phone and are available on iOS as well. Paid apps, unfortunately, you need to buy them again but can do so easily as they are automatically added in your wishlist on Apple app store. You can download it from its play store link where surprisingly it maintains a good rating.
Things to Know Before You Begin
- Make sure that both your Android device as well as the iOS device are plugged into power.
- Switch on the Wi-Fi in your Android device.
- Whatever content you need to move from android to iOS device, compare the total size to make sure it will fit entirely into the iOS device.
- If you need to transfer your chrome bookmarks too, in that case, your chrome browser needs to be updated to the latest version.
How to Use Move to iOS
- First of all, you need to set up your new iOS device.
- In case, you’ve already finished doing so, you need to erase the device and start again.
- Hesitant to erase? Transfer the contents manually, scroll down below to see how.
- When you are setting up your iOS device, you will come across Apps & Data screen, select the option ‘Move Data from Android’ from it.
- Now, open the move to iOS app on your android device.
- Continue and agree to the T&C until you see the option ‘Find Your Code’ on the top right corner of the device screen.
- On your iOS device, there will be a screen named as Move from Android. Tap continue on it and wait a while for a code to appear on it.
- Enter this code into the move to iOS app on your android device. In some time, Transfer Data screen will appear.
- You will get a list of options to choose from, namely the content that you want to transfer. Select whichever you want and then click on Next
- Leave both the devices undisturbed until the progress bar on your iOS device finishes. Not even if your Android device says that the process is completed. Be patient, this can take some time.
- Now you can select Done on your Android device, tap on continue on the iOS device and finish the setup of your iOS device.
Note: You can move music, books and other pdf only manually. Also, the apps that were on your Android device, you need to install from the iOS App Store and purchase them again.
Issues with Moving from Android to iPhone
If for some reason, the move from Android to iOS didn’t go as smoothly as expected, then there is no need to worry. You can simply go over some things again and make sure that the process is taking place as it needs to.
- You are not to do anything with any of the devices, neither the Android nor the iOS one. If any call or message etc is to come, let them go unattended. Move to iOS app should stay on the Android device screen the whole time. Don’t try to do anything on your iOS device either.
- Before proceeding with the transfer data process, disable any and all apps that might interfere with the wi-fi connection on your Android device. Also, turn off the cellular data connection.
- Make sure that your Android device is connected to a stable secure connection, remove all the others from its settings.
- Restart both of your devices in a proper manner and attempt it again.
Note: Some users have a problem in sending and receiving messages after switching from Android to iPhone. They can look into this Apple’s Offical Guide for solutions.
Move Content Manually from Android to iOS
Those of you who are having problems in using Apple’s Move to iOS app or have already finished setup for your iOS device can further move their content, import their contacts and much more using other methods as well.
Mail, Contacts & Calendar
First & Foremost, most important things i.e. your important emails, saved contacts, schedule planned ahead of days and more. All of the above info has one thing in common, they all can be synced via your favourite email provider both on your Android device as well as iOS one.
You can easily add your email account onto your device by going into the settings option of your device and then enable sync. Later you can get them on your iOS device simply by adding that same account via Settings option again and then choosing which of the synced data you want on your iOS device.
Photos, Videos & Music
Various photos & important videos along with other related media files are there in our storage along with several others which aren’t that much needed. You will need to install iTunes for this along with Android File Transfer if you are on a mac.
Connect your Android device to the system and go to the storage location of the photos and videos that you want to transfer. Select all of them and copy paste them to a separate folder on your laptop/desktop storage device.
Now disconnect your Android device and connect the iOS one instead. Then, open iTunes on your system and sync that particular folder with it. Afterwards, you can transfer it onto your iPhone too.
eBooks & Other PDFs
You can either access them via an app such as kindle, google play books etc or import them manually onto your iOS device. Most of the book apps which are available on Android are there on the iOS app store as well including Google Play Books.
To move ePub books and other PDFs to your iOS device from your Android one, get access to a computer with iTunes installed in it.
- Connect your Android Device with your system and locate your pdf/ebooks.
- You will need a tool named Android File Transfer if you are on a mac.
- Select all the books and pdf that you need on your iOS device and copy paste them onto a separate new folder on your computer.
- Disconnect your Android device and connect iOS one instead.
- Open iTunes, drag all the books and pdf onto the books section of iTunes.
- Now, you can sync your ebooks and other pdf on your iOS device as well.
Other Documents/Apps/Cloud Storage
You can easily use all the other documents on any iOS device as the iOS app for document file types supports various extensions including but not limited to Microsoft Office ones.
As far as cloud storage is concerned, all the major ones which have their android version are also available on iOS too. You can simply download them and sign in to access all your stuff via within any iOS device.
Apps are one of the major issues for any phone user, though almost any app that you are using on Android nowadays has an equivalent or most of the times same version on the iOS app store. You will need to purchase your paid apps again though, the subscription isn’t transferrable between Android & iOS.
Now that you’ve made the move, this article might be a worth a read to getting accustomed to iOS experience. Let us know if you face any trouble going through the above steps or if you are facing an issue that isn’t covered by us. We will do our best to resolve it as quickly as feasible.