Every iPhone user probably sets their own password/passcode to lock their handsets. It’s one of the best ways to safeguard your iPhone. However, say you forgot the password unfortunately; or you’re looking to sell your iPhone to someone else and you want to reset the phone but forgot your password.
No matter what the scenario can be, if you ever find yourself with a permanently locked iPhone and forgot your passcode, fear not; this can be solved easily.You have to factory reset the iPhone, in spite of your not wanting to, without a backup, for loss of precious data on your iPhone. There is a workaround for that too!
There are about six methods to do Reset iPhone Without Passcode/ Password.
How to Reset iPhone Without Password – 6 Simple Methods
Method 1: Reset iPhone Without Passcode Using iTunes
By using Apple’s proprietary software, you can reset your iPhone after backing up the data by following these easy steps. This is the only method that does not erase all data off your phone.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB cable.
- Open iTunes on your computer. Also make sure you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Tap on Summary which you will find on the left navigation bar and go to Restore iPhone.
- There will be a pop-up request for confirmation, and naturally you will click Restore.
- iTunes will now look for the latest updates and prompt you to install those updates on your iPhone. Then click Restore and Update to start the restore process.
- Wait for it to complete and then your iPhone will reboot and show up the home screen.
Method 2: Use iCloud
This is possible if only you have installed Find My iPhone on your device. In case you have and activated it earlier, follow the steps below:
- Open iCloud on your computer that has been connected to your iPhone, and log into it. Alternately, you can visit https://www.icloud.com/ and sign in with your credentials.
- Go to Find My Phone app and tap on All Devices.
- You must now be able to find your locked iPhone with the original name you’d given while setting it up.
- Click on it and then select Erase iPhone.
- Now your iPhone is clean of all passwords and data.
Note: In case you do not have ‘Find My iPhone’ on your device, you can’t use this option.
Method 3: How to Factory Reset iPhone Without iTunes
Follow these steps to a ‘workaround’ without using iTunes. It will be an advantage if you have installed an iCloud Backup.
Go to iPhone Settings → General → Reset → Erase All Content and Settings.
After resetting your iPhone without the use of iTunes, you can restore your data from iCloud Backup.
- During the Set up your iPhone stage, select Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Next give your iCloud log in credentials in the next window.
- Next under Choose Backup, select the latest backup option to restore all your original data and content.
Method 4: Use iMyFone LockWiper
Now, you can use a great third-party tool to reset iPhone without passcode. It’s called iMyFone LockWiper and you can get it here link.
This app can easily wipe the password off your iPhone and help you reset. This app can also wipe, passcodes, fingerprint ID and Face ID too from a broken, locked or disabled iPhone with very high success rates and is compatible for all Apple versions.
However, you must take note that Find my iPhone option has to be disabled. Follow these steps –
- Download and install iMyFone LockWiper on your computer.
- Open iMyFone LockWiper from the desktop shortcut.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Put your iPhone into ‘Recovery Mode’ following the guidance given by the app. You have to select the device model from three options: “Other iDevices”, “iPhone 7/7 Plus”, “iPhone 8/8 Plus/ X”.
- Then click on Download to get the device firmware online.
- Click on Start to Verify to verify the firmware.
- Click on Start Unlock and the process of unlocking your iPhone starts.
- Type 000000 to ensure unlocking and lastly click Unlock; your locked iPhone is now unlocked.
Method 5: Use iPhone Passcode Unlocker
If your iPhone was locked because you entered wrong passcode for more than permitted number of times, you can use an iPhone Passcode Unlocker tool called 4uKey without using iTunes. Following are the steps –
- Firstly, get the 4uKey application from this link depending on whether you’ll be downloading on your PC or Mac. Then install the software.
- Open 4uKey from the desktop shortcut.
- Connect your locked iPhone to the computer.
- Click the Start.
- 4uKey will ask you to get the latest firmware package for your device. Click on Download.
- 4uKey will guide you to unlock your iPhone.
- Go through the steps to remove your passcode.
- Now the iPhone will start in default factory mode with the “Hello” message.
Whenever you connect the device to your computer to unlock, do not disconnect till the process is over and your device is back to ‘Factory default settings’.
Method 6: Hard Reset to Reset a Locked iPhone Without Password
Sometimes a hard reset is the best way to reset iPhone without passcode. Steps are as outlined:
- Shutdown your iPhone by using Power ON/OFF
- Then hard press on the Home button and simultaneously connect the USB cable which is connected to the computer. Now the Apple logo will appear.
- Next is a prompt to confirm; click restore.
- On confirmation, iTunes will extract the software and install the same on your locked iPhone.
- Check that the iOS is installed and resets the phone.
- Wait for the Hello greeting on your iPhone.
How to Protect Your Data for Future:
You must have happily reclaimed your iPhone using any one of the above methods. But for future safety, always backup your device data to your computer. Do share this reset iPhone guide on social media to help other who are faced with the same issue. Keep coming back to us for more such handy guides, tricks and tips on iOS, iPhone, iPad.