iPhone Keeps Restarting – Every iPhone user is a proud owner who just cannot live without their trusted device right beside them. However, several iPhone users also feel frustrated when their iPhone doesn’t work continuously but gets into a restarting mode too often.
If you’re one such user, we understand that it must be bugging you very much. It’s almost a feeling of being let down if you are staring at a black screen with a wheel signaling a disaster.
Fret not my friends, this guide is especially for you! Go through this workaround now to get a permanent solution and fix your iPhone from restarting continuously.
Before we get started with any of the solutions, your best bet would be to get your iPhone replaced if your device is new and you encountered the problem within the replacement timeline. If your device is older, go ahead and follow this guide and set yourself free of the annoying restart problem. The first thing you need to do is create a backup of the data in your iPhone before you start the rescue operation.
Why the Restart Issue?
Most of the times, users’ iPhones restart almost every 5 secs, due to several reasons. Actually, the device gets into a ‘restart loop’ and then restarts automatically, without any fault from your end. The reasons for this to happen could be –
- Overheating of the device
- Unnecessarily overloaded device
- iOS due for the update
- Installation of a new app may have caused overloading
- An annoying ‘date bug’
iPhone Keeps Restarting – How do I fix this?
Whatever may be the reason, the solution to this problem has to be found, and our step-by-step guide is sure to help you. However, before you get on with any of the methods to fix the error, make sure to take a backup of your iPhone. This is in case you lose any data, you can always go back and restore this backup.
Once you’ve taken a backup of your iPhone data, just follow these instructions as outlined below –
1. Hard boot/restart the device:
Depending on the model of your iPhone, a hard reboot has to be done. This is the easiest and most often used method which could fix the problem of iPhone keeps restarting. Here are the steps:
- On your iPhone X, 8 and 8 Plus, the volume UP button has to be pressed and released quickly.
- Similarly, the volume Down button must be pressed and released quickly.
- Then, you need to hard press the Sleep/Wake button of the device until the Apple logo appears and then let go. You need to hold it long enough, at least 20 secs, lest the device may not hard reboot completely as required.
This may be a very difficult option as the problem with the device is it’s ‘restarting every 30 secs’. You may just get 20 seconds to do this. Follow the steps given below for the easiest option.
- Open Settings → Notifications→ Show Previews → Never.
- This step must solve your problem when you hard reboot the device after the about steps.
3. Fix the Date Bug:
The date-bug can be eliminated by changing the date manually, once to December 1st.
- For this, go to Settings → General → Date & Time.
- You will see the option 24-Hour Time; tap on it to switch if OFF.
- Make sure to turn OFF Set Automatically option.
- Now, you can manually input the Time Zone and then the Date and Time options.
4. Update your device to the latest iOS version:
Apple has released iOS 12 as recently as 17th September. However, care must be taken to first ‘Turn off Notifications’ and update to the 12 version; after which you can Turn On Notifications for the new iOS.
5. Manage your apps efficiently:
Deleting apps that occupy more space and use more energy can solve iPhone keeps restarting issue.
- You can also delete unused apps or less used apps and reinstall them when required rarely. This will moderate the temperature of your iPhone preventing frequent & annoying restarts. Checking the most recently installed app after finding if it is causing your problem.
- Deleting unused apps can be done by hard pressing on the app’s icon and uninstalling it. After that, it can be easily deleted from the device completely.
- Delete faulty apps. This is an essential process even if your device is not in ‘restart loop’.
- Check the recently installed apps and find the latest version of it and update them as this can resolve some developer bugs.
- Device cleaning is a very wise idea. Clean up junk files and repeated files from your device. iPhones have a buffer of all downloaded files and if they are in ‘doubles’, it is positively a ‘double whammy’.
- Reset all settings. This is a very safe method as it preserves all data on your device. You may follow this procedure:
Tap on Settings → General → Reset → Reset all Settings finally.
6. Make use of iOS Recovery Tool:
In all recent iOS versions starting from iOS 10, there exists a Repair Tool which can quickly solve all your iPhone problems. This Repair tool is a savior for most of your iPhone problems as it salvages many users from loss of data by recovering them.
Procedure for Repair/Rescue and Restore: We shall discuss here the procedure using iTunes and Mac/PC.
- Connect your iPhone to Mac or a PC. Close the iTunes on your Mac if it is running before this step.
- After connecting, open iTunes.
- Volume UP button must be pressed and released quickly.
- Do the same operation with the Volume Down button too
- Press the Sidebar button i.e. the Sleep/Wake button till you get a message on iTunes that your iPhone is on the Recovery Mode.
- Go through the instructions given in iTunes to restore the iPhone.
- It is now ‘disconnect your iPhone step’. But you need to wait to see ‘Welcome to your new iPhone’ message first.
- This ensures that your device has been repaired and rescued.
7. Do a ‘Factory Reset’ as the last resort:
Doing a Factory Reset will alter all settings and take your device to the default mode. Then it is easier to get rid of all problems on your iPhone but make sure you have a backup of all your data before you adopt this method. If you don’t have a backup, you will lose all your precious messages, pictures, videos, contacts and everything else.
Any of these steps or even a combination of steps is sure to solve the issue of your iPhone keeps restarting. Now your iPhone must behave like a darling! In the rare case that none of the above methods were able to resolve the issue, please write to us in the comment section below. And don’t forget to share this on social media to help others who are facing the similar issue.