Most of you iPhone users must be getting a notification on their Apple devices to update to the latest version of its operating system iOS 12. iOS 12 was recently released on September 17, 2018.
Here in this article, we would be covering details about it such as new features introduced in it, some features that didn’t make the first page but are still worthwhile and what you can expect in coming months.
Along with for basic iPhone users who aren’t that comfortable with its interface yet, we will be providing step by step instructions on whether to update to latest version of iOS and how to do it. Keep in mind this is just the first release and lots of bugs can be expected initially.
So, if some of you less enthusiastic people wanna wait for a further much more stable release, we would say its a wise move. For others, take it as they go type, do it on your own risk and don’t over optimize it yet.
iOS 12 Features
As it is with any major release, not all iOS 12 features introduced are new, some are making a comeback while some are just an improvised version of the previous ones. There are some rather iOS 12 hidden features too which we have covered as well. Some of the iOS 12 upcoming features to have made our list which you can expect in future released updates.
iOS 12 New Features
The main improvement that iOS 12 brings to your Apple device is the increase in its productivity. Apple has officially stated that with this new update, it aims to focus on reliability and performance. You can notice an increase of 40-70% in speed during regular phone usage.
Not only that, the problem with the old phones that each new update used to make them sluggish is also absent. Apple has been paying special attention to this issue. With the infamous iOS 11 which was a pain for most of the iPhone users, Apple is looking forward to burying the dark shady past and bring a new dawn with this amazing new version of its operating system.
As you wake up in the morning, you get bombarded by a small army of notifications. Same happens if you don’t attend to your phone for some time. Going through each of them one at a time is quite time-consuming and tiring as well.
iOS 12 solves this problem by combining them all in a unique manner and displaying everything together for you.
- All notifications are cleverly grouped into different categories by the app, topic, thread etc.
- Due to this, you can easily clear a large number of notifications which are rather useless in one swipe at a time.
Personalized Memoji& New Animoji
Taking further the concept of emojis ever than before, Apple has introduced a new feature named Moji. It’s basically a highly customizable face icon wherein you can choose between various facial features to make it look like you or someone else.
Not just that, it has introduced a couple new masks for Animoji and a set of other features as well including extending the length of the clips.
- Introduction of 4 new Animoji masks – Koala, Ghost, Tiger, and T-Rex
- New Memoji feature which is personalized face masks
- Both Memoji and Animoji clips last up to 30 seconds now
- Animoji has got tongue detection & wink detection too now
Siri has always been a useful assistant for iPhone users, since its first-time introduction by Apple. Now with the Siri Shortcuts app, you can use many of its preconfigured commands to get your tasks done. No more hassling with Siri or getting confused over things.
Not only it comes with preinstalled commands, but you can also assign it custom phrases according to your needs and demands.
- For example, “I lost my keys” phrase will put your tile tracker in action to find keys
- “Heading Home” sends ETA message to your roommates, set up thermostat and fan and show you the fasted route to reach via Apple Maps.
To make things even better for Siri enthusiasts, support for many other languages have been added within it taking the count above 40 languages so far. Not only that motorsports scores, but stats etc have also been brought within Siri’s grasp too with an expansion to its existing foods and celebrities knowledge base. And to add the cherry on top, you can now even manage and search amongst your saved password very quickly with it.
Screen time is Apple’s way of helping you in controlling the amount of time you spent on your iPhone or rather fight your addiction with it. It’s basically a tracker that keeps track of all the things you are doing on your iPhone without invading your privacy and monitors them.
This is in its all essence a parental control feature for your kids as well as yourself. There is so much that you can do with it.
- Create your own time limits specific to one app or all with a display message.
- Limit your usage by category specific or individual selection.
- ‘Always allowed’ setting makes sure to bypass any important apps from all of the above.
- Parents can remotely control via family sharing feature within it.
Apart from the above major changes that Apple is bringing to its devices with the new iOS 12 update, there is a couple other stuff as well. Though minor, they sure do change the look &feel of the iPhone.
- WIth the new Do Not Disturb mode, you can now turn off visual notifications as well. Apart from disabling sounds, you have now the choice to get rid of those irritating displays on your mobile screen that comes even when in DND mode. Now in its most strict settings, only a reminder will be displayed which tells us that DND is enabled.
- Photos app has been modified and many smart features have been integrated within it. Its search capabilities have been expanded quite a bit and take into account over 4 million events happening worldwide to allow you to search via using them without any manual tagging. A new personalized tab named ‘For You’ has been introduced. It provides suggestions on sharing and improving your pictures. Sharing has also got a new edge, now you can share full res pics and get suggestions on who to share them with. Also, a new chargeback nudges feature with an end to end encryption that pokes your friends to share photos with you and suggests them as well.
- With the Apples latest update in Augment Reality segment named ARKit 2, this new update consists of multiplayer enabled virtual environments making iOS 12 the largest AR platform in the world.
- With iOS 12, many apps are getting major updates such as Apple News, Stocks, Voice Memos, CarPlay and more. Apple news gets a new browsing tab & sidebar navigation as well. Stocks are being rebuilt with related news integration and including charts too. Voice memos get iCloud support and are now on iPad. CarPlay has now inbuilt third-party apps support such as for google maps. iBooks has been renamed into Apple Books and can resume reading and have a new interface to browse and buy.
- A new file type USDZ for AR developers has been introduced supported so far by Pixar and Adobe. Measure app also makes use of the sensors to measure objects in front of you via its very own AR app.
Apart from the above, there have been many other features as well such as fine-tuning your app notifications, working NFC features with dead battery, whether app now tells air quality, changes in screenshot mode as well as camera app, iPad getting same gestures as iPhone and one emergency feature of pinpointing your location in case of calling 911.
This update has been so far the most major update working with almost all models of iPhones as well as iPads. While iPhone 5s and newer are supported, nothing older than iPad Air &iPad mini 2 will support this iOS version.
iOS 12 Upcoming Features
In the latest update i.e. iOS 12.1 which is coming much sooner than anyone expected it to contains some new and upcoming major updates. One of them is Group Facetime supporting up to 32 participants now. Another one is Apple’s very own maps app. It was high time that Apple got in this area. At present, any changes in the maps too long to appear due to all third-party involvements. Another one is an eSIMfeature which may be live in beta but will need carrier support.
iOS 12 Hidden Features
Apart from the major changes brought by the iOS 12 updates, there have been many minor tweaks and feature integration which may prove utmost useful at times.
- Face ID alternate appearance: Now you can add an alternate unlocking dace ID for when you are outside wearing sunglasses or makeup. Do it via Settings → Face ID & Passcode → Authenticate.
- Autofill Verification Codes: You don’t need to manually enter the verification codes that you receive from now onwards. Your phone will take care of it saving you from the unnecessary hassle of toggling between app and messages.
- AirDrop Passwords: Sharing passwords between the two devices was never more secure. Hold upon the password in the iCloud keychain to send it via AirDrop to another device.
- Lock USB accessories: Now locking your phone keeps the USB connecting devices out of access too. It’s a nifty new feature which may prove very useful in the prevention of theft and data. You can enable it via Settings → Face ID & Passcode → USB Accessories.
- Lyrics Search in Apple Music: Forgot the name but remember the lyrics? Happens with the best of us. Worry not, Apple is to your rescue. Now just type the lyrics in the search bar and it will show up the matched songs.
- Notification turns off timer: Apart from the usual turning off notifications, you can now customize it with many specifications. You can turn them off for a specific event of until you leave that location.
- Deliver Quietly: No more getting annoyed by several useless notifications in a day. With this feature, quiet notification only appears in the notification center, no display, no sound, or anything else at all.
- Hear Better: With the new Live Listen feature, gone are the days when you needed a separate microphone included headset to receive calls or speak something in your phone. Now, you just needAirPods(Apple’s own wireless earbuds).
- Multitasking App Closing: Until now, hard closing an app was a nightmare while multitasking. This has been simplified too much extent, now you can close them with a single swipe via the app switcher.
- Automatic Updates: Finally, iOS gets auto updates too. Now, no more hassling over manually updating your iPhone every time a new update is released. Just enable the automatic updates in the software update section of your general settings and then you can sit back and relax.
To summarize it all, iOS 12 has been a major relief for all those battling with the hectic experience of iOS 11 so far. Got something which you think Apple should introduce next? Let us know in the comments or anything else at all really.