iMessage Waiting for Activation- Every iPhone user swears by the tremendously helpful iMessage application which is much more feature-rich than a simple SMS/text application. Unlike the text messaging applications, iPhone users can also send images, videos, sounds, and even location via the iMessage app. Thus, when you encounter a problem with the iMessage app, we know it can be truly frustrating. This article caters to this common problem and we show you some simple steps to fix it instantly.
Often, you may encounter error messages while using iMessage app such as: “iMessage Waiting for Activation” or “Activation Un-successful“. Other error messages that may pop up are – “Could not sign in, please check your network connection” or “An error occurred during activation”.
All these points to an issue with the iMessage app. You may find this error when you buy a new iPhone or when you are changing numbers or even changing between operators. Several users often report this problem when they’ve updated to the latest iOS 11 & 12. Rest assured, this is not a serious problem.
9 Simple Methods to Fix iMessage Waiting for Activation error
Method-1: Resetting the Network Settings on your iPhone:
Sometimes because of Wi-Fi issues, you may not be able to use iMessage. Whether its related to Wi-Fi or cellular network, resetting the network settings often solves the issue.
- Go to Settings → General → select Reset option at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Reset Network Settings and enter your phone password when prompted.
Method-2: Your iPhone is new:
In case you’re encountering this issue on a brand-new iPhone, the best option would be to wait and relax for a day as Apple says, ‘Wait for 24 hours to completely activate your iPhone’. After 24 hours you may have to ‘Reset’ the iPhone to put things in order.
Method-3: Airplane Mode Solution:
- Go to Settings → Messages → Toggle iMessage option OFF.
- Next, go to Settings → Toggle Airplane mode switch ON. The Wi-Fi option will be automatically switched off.
- Go to Wi-Fi and toggle switch ON.
- Again, to Settings → Messages → and toggle iMessage option ON.
- Lastly, go to Settings → Toggle Airplane mode switch OFF.
- You should get a pop-up message “Your carrier may charge for SMS”; just select OK.
Wait for some time to let iMessage to get activated. This method is known to solve the iMessage issue for most users.
Method-4: Date and Time error:
Apple takes a day to activate all services on your phone as it needs to locate your phone. In case your date and time settings are not correct, Apple may not be able to activate the phone. Steps are as follows:
- Go to Settings → Date and Time → Choose the correct date and location and time zone or just select Set Automatically.
- Now restart your iPhone.
Method-5: Your iPhone settings may prevent iMessage from receiving messages:
Check if your iPhone settings are preventing messages from being received. When Apple connects you, they send a message to the new user, but you may not have received it as ‘Receive Messages’ is not enabled in your iPhone. Enable it by following the steps below –
- Go to Settings → Messages → Tap on Send & Receive. However, your phone number must be linked to your Apple ID for this to work.
- Restart your iPhone.
Method-6: Update issues:
Your iPhone may need an update to the more recent iOS. Steps will be:
- Tap Settings → General → Software Update.
- When you find a new update, tap ‘Download and Install’ to complete the update.
This will update your device to the most recent update and then the iPhone needs a restart.
Method-7: Sign-out and Sign-in with Apple ID:
This method is to reset your Apple ID login credentials by signing out and then signing in again. Steps will be:
- Go to Settings → Message → tap Send &Receive.
- After that select Apple ID and tap Sign Out.
- Toggle iMessage switch to OFF.
- Now tap Wi-Fi option OFF and then ON.
- Again, toggle iMessage switch to ON.
- Input your Apple ID login credentials; this will reactivate iMessage.
This may activate iMessage magically.
Method-8: Contact Your Cellular Company:
There are times when every setting is perfect, yet you may be unable to receive messages, and this could be a fault of your Carrier company. So first, contact them to check if iMessage is supported in the first place. If not, get it included.
We now wrap it up for you!
Last but not least, you may have to change your SIM to another iPhone and try. Once you start receiving iMessages, flip the SIM card to your new phone to activate.
Have you received your first iMessage now? If not, just relax, and wait. Next day, it may activate magically. All the best and have fun with your iPhone.
In the odd scenario that none of the methods helped you fix iMessage waiting for activation error, then as a last resort, you may have to Hard Reset your iPhone to get your iPhone back to its default state and try again.